Port Blakely grows and markets renewable forest products around the globe. Guided by the principle that tomorrow comes first, we take great care in advancing the ideals and best practices of good corporate and environmental stewardship. We are devoted to our employees, customers and the communities where we live and work, and are determined to do our part to help them prosper and thrive. Through our work, we hope to inspire the next generation, so they will inspire the one after that. For five generations, the future-first vision of our family owners has kept our sights squarely on the horizon, on making sure that the decisions we make today have a lasting, positive impact on tomorrow.
Port Blakely operates three divisions: US Forestry, NZ Forestry, and PLS International. Every day, each puts tomorrow first.
Field Forester – US Forestry Operations – Tumwater, WA
Exempt / Full-Time
This position directly supports the US Forestry Operations department, primarily at the tree farm level, with harvest planning, engineering and implementation as well as other general tree farm related duties.
- Advise Area Manager of relevant information related to a harvest, including, but not limited to timber volume and quality, haul road conditions and forest health
- Collaborate with Area Foresters to analyze logging bids to verify company interests are protected
- Actively pursue market opportunities to optimize return to stump revenue
Harvest Unit Engineering:
- Conduct reconnaissance and design harvest units that comply with all applicable laws and regulations
- Accurately complete necessary internal forms and external permits
- Consult with Area Manager or Area Foresters to ensure accuracy
- Hold self and others accountable for all accuracy of documentation (e.g. mapping)
Road Engineering, Construction & Maintenance:
- Assist Engineers and Foresters with design, layout and construction of road related projects
- Assist Area Manager to ensure all contracts or agreements are fully executed prior to commencement of operation
- Ensure company’s Best Management Practices and all required regulations are enforced
- Conduct compliance operations in the best interest and to the benefit of the company
Logging Residue Abatement:
- Assist with slash burning and abatement projects as directed
Fire Apparatus and Equipment:
- Support maintenance and readiness of firefighting apparatus and equipment
- Comply with all federal, state, local and Company rules and regulations relevant to the efficient and safe performance of your work
- Promote a Culture where Safety is always first with company staff and contractors
- Coordinate and communicate all safety and health issues with supervisor
- Report or correct unsafe equipment and practices; use protective gear and equipment when required for safety; report any accidents that occur while on the job
- Maintain CPR, AED and First Aid certifications to assist fellow employees, contractors, etc. as needed
- Complete tree farm, department or division assignments through collaboration
Successful candidates will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry or related field and one year of directly related experience and/or training or equivalent years combination of education and experience
- Ability to effectively and professional communicate with internal and external parties in a manner that is aligned with the company’s purpose and values
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should send resume and cover letter to HR@PORTBLAKELY.COM.
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of Port Blakely and all subsidiaries of Port Blakely to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Port Blakely will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.