This Land Use Manager position is based out of Coos Bay, Oregon and is an integral part of the leadership team responsible for the forestry, engineering, and harvesting in the South Oregon Region. This is a full-time, exempt position, reporting to the South Oregon Region Manager. The Land Use position is responsible for management of safety, environmental stewardship, local realty transactions, easements, leases, permits, recreational users, neighbor and community relations, and asset security. Coordination with all other forest management operations is paramount (i.e. forestry, engineering, and harvesting).
Safety – Actively participate in health and safety programs including near miss reporting. Apply laws and safety regulations to active operations and address safety issues appropriately (unsafe acts, PPE, etc.).
Environment – Actively participate in maintaining the Company’s Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) certification. Regulatory knowledge and application of State and Federal Regulations that pertain to forest management.
Key Functions – Negotiates and administers forest land use agreements (easements, rights of way, cost-share road agreements, leases and permits). Manages local land and timber acquisitions, disposals and exchanges. Leads resolution of land use issues including ownership disputes, trespasses, condemnation actions and damage claims. Represents Weyerhaeuser in public forums, community outreach and government agencies as needed. Supports Company environmental goals and strategies. Works with diverse community and stakeholder groups on access and sensitive issues. Maintain positive public and neighbor relations. Works closely with Corporate Staff groups (Land Title, Legal, Minerals, Tax and Real Estate Services) to manage local land use issues. Manages the Specialty Forest Products business to generate revenue from minor forest products, telecommunication sites, firewood and miscellaneous permits and leases. Identifies and evaluates new revenue opportunities and improves effectiveness of current product lines. Coordinates with other Land Use Professionals to standardize and improve land use and revenue-generating processes across Western Timberlands.
- BS Degree in forestry or natural resources or equivalent experience with at least five years of experience managing in a team-based system is preferred.
- Excellent negotiation, conflict resolution and interpersonal skills;
- demonstrated ability to plan and coordinate multiple tasks in a fast-paced, dynamic environment;
- strong time management skills; effective listening, writing and verbal communication skills;
- customer-focused, and creative problem solver with excellent research and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of forestry strategy, working knowledge of Oregon Forest Practice and Land Use laws and regulations
- Experience negotiating and administering contracts or agreements, demonstrated knowledge of safety policies and procedures
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office applications and able to learn and use new computer applications as required.
- Current driver’s license is required as work involves driving company vehicles (highway and logging roads).
- Must be willing and able to work the hours applicable to the job, which includes occasional evenings and weekends.
We sustainably manage forests and manufacture products that make the world a better place. We’re serious about safety, driven to achieve excellence, and proud of what we do. With multiple business lines in locations across North America, we offer a range of exciting career opportunities for smart, talented people who are passionate about making a difference. We know you have a choice in your career. We want you to choose us.
Interested applicants may apply online at: http://weyer.jobs/13029 by 1/19/19.
Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment women, minorities, qualified individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.