Purpose of the Presidential Field Forester Award
The purpose of this award is to recognize foresters who have dedicated their professional careers to the application of forestry on the ground using sound, scientific methods and adaptive management strategies. The Presidential Field Forester Awards will be presented to individuals who have displayed uncommon talent, skill, and innovative methods to achieve a record of excellence in the application of forest management.
Due to regional differences in both application intensity and regulations affecting forestry operations, the award recipients will be selected on a regional basis. Using the existing organizational structure, each Council member will be asked to select and/or endorse an outstanding field forester from the District they represent. The Council person can use the state society chairs to nominate candidates and from those nominations select a nominee for recognition, or use any other process that would select a worthy candidate based on the selection criteria.
- Must be a member of SAF
- Must have practiced forestry for at least 15 years (I would consider 10 years)
- Major portion of career must be in field application of forestry
- Must be recognized locally or regionally by peers for excellence in field application of forestry
- Understands the forest and uses science along with the adaptive management process to achieve landowner objectives and insure forest sustainability
- Management intensity may range from very intensive applications to more extensive management regimes
- May be from any employment sector
Individuals recognized for the Field Forester Achievement Award will be announced and recognized at the 2002 annual convention during the awards ceremony. Recognition will consist of a plaque. There will be no support for the recipients to attend the convention to receive their award, but each would be encouraged to attend.
A short biographical sketch (with picture) along with the reasons for each recipient's selection will accompany the award.
Timeline for Selection
Selection will be finalized and forwarded to the national office by June 15 along with each recipient's biographical information and the nomination letter with reasons for selection. Recipients will be notified by July 1 to have adequate time to make plans to attend the convention for the ceremony.